Slip, Trip or Fall

Rated Excellent on Trustpilot by People Like You

Claiming Compensation for a Slip, Trip or Fall

Slips, trips and falls are the most common type of accident claim. If you were injured in the street, at work, in a supermarket or a restaurant or any other public place as a result of a defect or hazardous situation, you may be entitled to compensation for personal injury and also for any financial losses that you have sustained as a result of the accident.

Accident Compensation Helpline is a long established and trusted personal injury claims company. With over 20 years experience, we’ve helped many thousands of people claim compensation for many different types of accident and injury claims.

There are many causes of slip and trip accidents, these are just a few examples.

  • Unmarked slippery surfaces, such as wet floors
  • Trip hazards, tripping over boxes or crates left out by staff
  • Tripping over a broken pavement or pothole, or a hazardous cable
  • Poorly positioned mats in a supermarket, shop or at work

Accidents in public places

Many slip and trip accidents occur in public places. Landlords and owners of land and property accessed by members of the public have a duty to take reasonable care for the safety of all visitors. Landlords also have a duty of care to their tenants.

Accidents within the workplace

Many slip and trip accidents also occur within the workplace. Your employer has a duty of care to enable you to do your job safely, this includes providing proper training and a safe working environment. It’s reassuring to know however, that if you’ve been injured in an accident at work, any compensation awarded to you would be paid by your employer’s insurance company, and not by your employer

What can I claim for?

You can claim for the actual injuries you have suffered – this is called ‘general damages’. How much your claim will be worth varies significantly depending on the nature and extent of your injuries, but your specialist lawyer will talk you through this.

You can also claim for any accident-related financial losses known as ‘special damages’, for example:

  • Loss of earnings

    In addition to your normal wages, you may have lost out on potential overtime, bonuses or commission because of your injuries. You can claim for all of these if they relate to the accident.

  • Medical expenses and rehabilitation costs

    This includes things like prescription costs, the cost of buying equipment to help in your rehabilitation, and the cost of private medical treatment if you have to ‘go private’.

  • Travel expenses

    That could be, for instance, taxis or public transport to hospital appointments.

  • Damaged clothing and personal items

    Sometimes, personal belongings and clothing can be damaged in an accident. You may be able to claim for these too.

  • Interim payments

    Interim payments may be available in certain circumstances. We understand that an accident can cause financial hardship to the injured person and their family. Our solicitors will always try to secure interim payments where needed.

No win, no fee service

Our panel of solicitors offer a no win, no fee service. This simply means that if you don’t win your claim, there will be no cost to you. 

Customers typically pay a success fee of 25% of the compensation awarded to cover legal costs. This may vary, but will always be agreed with your solicitors upfront. 

If you would like to know more about your available options, we’re here to help. It’s free to talk to us – and there’s no pressure to start a claim. 

    Does your claim qualify?

    Fill in your details below for a free claim check

    Or simply call us now on freephone

    0800 0511 511